Sunday, 12 October 2014

Idea.

For my Final Major Documentary Project, I would like to celebrate the strengths and successes of everyday women. Too often women are made to feel negative about their selves as body image and lifestyle regularly gets criticized. A lot of people, both male and female, often underestimate what a woman is capable of. The key words I would like to work around are as follows:
Positive
Success
Herioc
Every woman has their own individual and personal strengths, challenges they have overcome. These often go unrecognized as everyday life overlooks them. I would like to celebrate these strengths and talents, creating a series of portraits of strong women. Unless showing another side to the woman, I do not want to photograph those that are well known for the successes they have had.

I am currently undecided as to whether or not I would like to create these portraits in a clean, slick studio environment or an environment the women are commonly associated with. In order to make this decision I think I will have to look at similar works that already exist and make a decision. I can always change the approach if necessary after the first attempt.

Regardless of which location I choose to work in studio or otherwise, I would like my project to be shot digitally. This will enable me to be sure I am getting the results I hope for out of the images. The digital process will also be quicker, meaning I can put more work in to the project for the same, if not slightly lower cost.

If I shoot on location, I would like to try and arrange to shoot multiple people in a similar area. This will reduce costs and make the most out of the time I have available to me.  With regards to travel I am going to have to rely heavily on public transport. Without my own driving license, I have no choice but to rely on services already available. Because of this, I will unfortunately be less flexible.

In order to attract attention to the work I am producing, I would like to advertise through groups that are likely to understand and respect the work. An example feminist organizations and pro-women campaigning groups. I could start local with the universities own feminist group while I decide a solid style and direction to my work. By starting here, I would be able to revisit people more often. Afterwards, I could branch out further to reach other influential, strong women.


This piece of work is one I am looking forward to getting stuck in to, with further research I am sure I will come up with a stronger idea and path to take it. I think I will find it challenging, organizing people to come up with a piece of work that not only fits together as one solid project, but also represents each person as an individual. Before I shoot, I need a clear precise vision of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment